Crow: Vol 10 2013


Crossing Mass at 9th
Bert Haverkate-Ens

In the folds
of her dark green
sweater

lie hills and valleys
of sunlight and shadow,
each one a new horizon
across her form.

She walked ahead of me,
her face looking forward,
pale sneakers
marking the pavement
with disappearing steps.






walktokaw.blogspot.com



A bunny writer
Bert Haverkate-Ens

I’m a pretty good,
if mostly unrecognized,
writer.
My intent is to interest people
who matter to me
to varying degrees
with what interests me.
I like working with words on a page.
I try to be clear,
except when misdirection suits me.
A well-place non sequitur
may awaken
where straightforward prose passes by.
If I’m not going to be well known,
I might as well have some fun.
Expect to wonder which sense –
or nonsense –
I mean.
Sometimes.
I point to an empty hat.
And if you are going to read my writing,
you might as well enjoy yourself.
I’d like you to recognize my voice,
and if you find what I have to say interesting,
well,
there’s a rabbit.

A bit of rhyme
Bert Haverkate-Ens

Bert is my name,
writing poems is a game
to help my mind to remember,
and if they’re not rotten,
and you have forgotten,
perchance yours will flame from an ember.

Venn Diagram
Bert Haverkate-Ens

Imagine an immense circle of all the poems ever written,
intersected with a smaller circle of people
inclined to read poetry,
the points that would represent my writing
would be too small to be rendered
at this scale.
But there would still be points of mine
in that lens shape between circle A
and circle B.
And then there would be an immense amount of pointless space.

Putting it another way,
imagine I were a market gardener.
There would be an immense amount
of compost,
the unread words tossed on a heap.
But in raising poems,
the cost of seed and soil is remarkably low,
and the time, well, time is another
of those things
you can’t take with you.

Many might find it odd that I would write
so many words,
the market for the kind I write being what it is,
yet I find curious satisfaction
in composing thoughts
that will be left to decompose.

You are looking at the harvest.

And now I imagine your wry grin,
your non-existent self,
in an infinite universe in which I turn out
to be mistaken,
not no one not reading these very words.

This is how we all live, after all.

I, your pointless unpublished poet,
imagined that it was so,
the Venn diagram and all
and that we are
what we are,
and who,
and why
not that any of it would stop me from thinking what follows,
after all,
and I smiled my own wry grin,
as I left a sack of zucchini on your doorstep
and I walked away.

Who but a writer uses words
like doorstep,
anyway?


Catching words and ideas
Bert Haverkate-Ens

You can put bowls and buckets out
to catch the falling rain.
Add barrels and cisterns,
but the drops continue to fall,
which ones, which glassful,
will you offer for a drink?


Poetry
Bert Haverkate-Ens

Of course poetry should rhyme,
otherwise it would be prose.
But matching the sounds of words
at the ends of lines
is not the only way
to make words rhyme.
And rhythm matters, too.
And a ring of truth.
I should have left it alone
with 'poetry should rhyme.'



walktokaw.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment